Thursday, February 1, 2007

So long, Microsoft Office

For the past four months, I've been using Microsoft Office 2007 (beta). Today, my beta trial expired. I can still open my applications and open files, I just can't edit them, save them or create something new.

Now, I understand that beta releases are meant to be temporary, so I don't blame them for turning it off, but I am a little peaved that I got no warning (and I'm not the only one). Most trial software I've used lets you know a few days ahead of time. If I'd gotten a reminder, I could have at least saved my Word 2007 documents in an older format. Now I can't read them at all, unless I buy Office 2007.

So now, I'm faced with a decision. Go out in the snow and buy a copy of Office 2007, download a copy and tie up my pc all day, or do something else.
I've decided to do something else. I'm installing Open Office and will use Outlook express for email (for now).
I'll report back in a week on how Open Office compares.

Tags:,

Add to: blinklist del.cio.us digg yahoo! furl rawsugar shadows netvouz

1 comment:

Kaj Kandler said...

Hi there,
as a practical tip, find someone who payed for Office 2007 and have him convert the files. May be you can even do that in a computer shop or library that is up to date.

In your journey to OpenOffice.org, consider Plan-B for OpenOffice.org as your professional support site. It has dozens of screencasts (short videos) and smart search to help you find what you are looking for. If you register, you can get e-mail support too.